Two-time Emmy-nominated comedian, Loyiso Gola, returns home with his latest one-man comedy, Popular Culture, to Cape Town next week
Internationally celebrated and much-loved SA comedian, Loyiso Gola, is set to bring the laughs to The Mother City next week with his latest comedy show spectacular, Popular Culture.
The Cape Town-born comedian’s new show, which just dazzled Johannesburg fans over a week ago, will entertain Cape Town audiences at the Homecoming Centre on 21 and 22 October.
In early 2021, Gola (38) created history when he released the hour-long Netflix standup special from Africa, Unlearning – which has enamoured global audiences. This offering delivered riffs about race, identity, politics and a school prank that went embarrassingly wrong.
This time around, Gola takes audiences on a hilarious journey exploring the differing impact of cultural moments around the world after debuting Popular Culture in the UK in October last year.
Popular Culture allows Gola to dive into pop culture through the years and the way it has shaped our lives.
“It’s always great to perform at my place of birth. It’s a home ground advantage for me because Cape Town is my favourite audience. It holds a special part in my heart because this is where my career started,” he shares.
The outspoken comic also explores culture through personal anecdotes, observations and storytelling through the show.
“This is a more introspective and personal show. Its commentary on contemporary pop culture. And the usual take on the political situation in South Africa and the globe at large,” promises Gola.
Tickets for this hot property laugh-A-line comedy experience can be purchased via Quicket at www.quicket.co.za
Popular (Written, performed and produced by Loyiso Gola)
Venue: Homecoming Centre, 15 M59, District Six, Cape Town, 7925
Dates: 21 & 22 October 2022
Ticket Price: R215
Show Time: 8pm
Bookings: Available via Quicket. (www.quicket.co.za)
For more detail about his upcoming tours and current projects, visit: www.loyisogola.com
LOYISIO GOLA BIOGRAPHY
- Born and raised in Cape Town, Loyiso Gola is one of South Africa’s most gifted and popular comedians. He grew up a shy child who finally came out of his shell after trying stand-up as a teen in school. Gola’s drama teacher introduced him to the Cape Comedy Collective where he continued to flourish.
- After entering university in 2002, Gola won the Sprite Soul Comedy Tour and relocated to Johannesburg where he began to land TV appearances on panel and sketch shows.
- Gola debuted his first one-man show I’m Frank in 2006 and he’s been captivating audiences with his refreshingly frank stand-up ever since. In 2007, he scored the South African Comedy Award for Best Breakthrough Comedy Act with Loyiso Gola For President.
- He’s toured regularly in South Africa and the UK with such shows as 2010’s Coming Home, 2011’s Life & Times, 2012’s Professional Black, 2013’s Loyiso Gola Live and 2014’s State Of The Nation Address.
- In addition, Gola created and hosted the satirical television series Late Nite News in 2010, which ran until 2015 and received two International Emmy nominations. Over the years, he’s also appeared on Live At The Apollo, 8 Out Of 10 Cats, QI and Mock The Week.