LET’S MEET THE CAST OF MOYA LIVE
Don’t stay alone in the dark at home, join us at the Teatro at Montecasino where the lights stay on.
Fresh from receiving standing ovations at the National Arts Festival, MOYA, the live show of the Zip Zap professional performing company, will travel to Johannesburg for a limited run at The Teatro at Montecasino from 4 to 7 August 2022 for 6 shows only, before the cast travels to Europe for a 3-month contract in France.
To get a taste of what to expect, watch the MOYA trailer
Prepare to be spellbound by this contemporary circus show, rooted in South African culture, and seen through the eyes of our youth. MOYA celebrates both unity and diversity, through its unique and artistic interpretation. The show highlights what Zip Zap Circus ultimately stands for: diversity, social cohesion, and empowerment through the circus arts.
It has been a long journey for the cast of MOYA. Even though the show was conceptualised in 2019 to tour internationally, plans were placed on hold due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Instead, the concept was re-imagined as a movie. MOYA, the award-winning acrobatic art film, was released in 2021 to huge acclaim, and won several international awards. MOYA, the live show, was performed on stage for the first time in February 2022.
Here is an introduction to the cast members that the Montecasino guests will enjoy, and the acts that they perform in MOYA:
- Bridgette Berning first discovered circus through a primary school teacher who started a social circus called Sisonke. After completing high school, she joined Zip Zap’s vocational programme, Dare2Dream, hoping to accomplish her goal of traveling and performing around the world. She has been seconded to join MOYA as a performer. Her acts in the show include Silks, Flyer, Contortion and Dance.
- Jacobus (Trompie) Claasen Affectionately known as ‘Trompie’ Jacobus was introduced to Zip Zap in 2009.He found his passion for dance, acting and circus as a medium to express himself. Jacobus has flourished as a performer and excels at circus disciplines unicycle, juggling and tumbling. His sense of fun, comedy and his quirky character makes him an endearing favourite with audiences. His acts in the show include Flyer, Bounce Juggler and Acrobat.
- Jason Barnard A multi-disciplinary circus performer with a compelling stage presence, Jason started at Zip Zap when he was just 8 years old, for an initial 4 years. After moving to the United Kingdom, he returned when he was 19. He is one of South Africa’s premier jugglers, performing the only gravity juggling act in the country. Jason is super talented, was a top achiever in the vocational circus programme Dare2Dream and the recipient of awards acknowledging his versatile achievements. Jason composed and performs the poetic rap in the show. His other acts in the show include Porter, Bounce Juggler, Acrobat, and Dance.
- Lukhanyo Samson is currently completing Zip Zap’s vocational programme, Dare2Dream and has been seconded to join Zip Zap’s professional performing company in the MOYA live show. His acts include Flyer, Acrobat and Dance.
- Luqmaan Benjamin, born and bred in Cape Town, had big dreams of becoming a football player but lost interest when he discovered acrobatics and tricking at the age of 17. In 2020 he discovered Zip Zap Circus, and joined its vocational programme, Dare2Dream, with limited experience of circus but a lot of energy to learn. He has been seconded to MOYA as a performer. His acts include Acrobat, Porter, and Dance.
- Matthew Risk was born in Cape Town. Having a love for music, he is also a music producer, and often makes instrumental tracks for musicians to rap/sing over. After having been part of Zip Zap Circus since 2012, Matthew graduated from school in 2020, and joined Zip Zap’s vocational programme, Dare2Dream, and has been seconded to join MOYA as a performer. His acts in the show include Unicycle, Acrobat, Porter, and Dance.
- Phelelani Ndakroka, also known as ‘Ree’, was born in Cape Town, and joined Zip Zap in 2010.Ree has remarkable physicality, blended artfully with intense creative expression, captivating audiences. He is an international award-winning performer, having won Best Performer at the International Circus Awards 2021 for his performance in MOYA, An Acrobatic Art Film. His acts in the show include Cyr Wheel, Straps, Acrobat, and Dance.
- Uthmaan Benjamin was born in Cape Town. He has spent many years of his life experimenting with various art forms including dance, music and tricking but has found his passion in acrobatics. He lives by the motto ‘You never work a day in your life if you do what you love’ and has discovered Zip Zap through his twin brother Luqmaan. He is currently completing Zip Zap’s vocational programme, Dare2Dream, and has been seconded to join MOYA as a performer. His acts in the show include Acrobat, Porter, and Dance.
- Vuyani Lottering Born and still living in Nyanga, Cape Town, Vuyani has been part of the Zip Zap family since 2015. He started in Zip Zap’s Intermediate programme, and today he is a polished, dedicated, and talented performer. In 2019 Vuyani was the recipient of the Zip Zap Student of the Year award. His acts in the show include Ball Juggler, Acrobat, Porter, and Dance.
The cast shared their excitement about being able to perform to live audiences and being able to travel. They are all looking forward to enthralling audiences at The Teatro at Montecasino.
Exciting news is that Early Bird Specials have been introduced for MOYA show tickets as follows:
The show will run from Thursday 4th to Sunday 7th August 2022.
Bookings for the performances are now open and are available at Quicket, with ticket prices ranging from R190-R290. Depending on the time when you book the relevant discount will apply.
The show runs for 1h15 with no interval.
MOYA Live is proudly supported by the National Arts Council, the Department of Sports, Arts & Culture, the Embassy of Switzerland, Cav’ Platform a project of the Goethe-Institut, TotalEnergies Marketing South Africa, and the French Institute of South Africa (IFAS).
Véronique Haller, Deputy Head of Mission, Embassy of Switzerland shared the following, “Not only are we supporting the arts through our association with Zip Zap Circus; we are also contributing to the creation of employment opportunities for the youth in South Africa,”
“We are excited to continue our support of Zip Zap Circus who continues to demonstrate the possibilities of experimental circus performance through an innovative approach to circus arts,” Sophie Boulé, Cultural Attaché and Deputy Director of the French Institute of South Africa (IFAS).
The Teatro at Montecasino Performance Dates:
Thursday, 4th August 20h00
Friday, 5th August 20h00
Saturday, 6th August 14h00 and 20h00
Sunday, 7th August 11h00 and 14h00
#zipzap #zipzapcircus #socialcircus #moya #spirit #cirquelife #windsofchange #acrosport #circus #circuslife #capetown #dream #circusinspiration #capetownentertainment #capetownetc #communityspirit #localislekker #dogood #supportlocal #makeadifference #empowerment #upliftment #communityspirit
Photo Credits Joan Ward