Renowned SA singer and actress, Lois du Plessis, is celebrating 21 years in the entertainment industry
This year marks a coming of age, of sorts for actress, singer, and songwriter Lois Du Plessis as she celebrates 21 years in the entertainment industry.
The entertainer who has become a household name due to her role as “Pearl” in the popular local e.tv soapie, House of Zwide, shows no signs of slowing down.
Just last month the multi-talented musician and actress released her latest music video for the single, “Same God”, a song which she describes as a celebration of her journey of faith and how trusting God has taken her to places beyond her wildest dreams.
The Mpumalanga-native first rose to fame as one of the top 10 on a show called Coca-Cola Popstars in 2002. After not being selected to be a part of the winning group, she along with the four other runners-up was offered a deal by Virgin/EMI to start the pop group, Afro Z.
After great success in the South African music industry, the band parted ways to pursue individual interests. The band has stayed in contact over the years and is in the middle of planning a 20-year reunion. They gave their fans an online taste of this during the height of the covid19 pandemic when they digitally reunited to perform their smash hit, “My Coldest War” as a tribute to those who had faced loss during the pandemic.
Parting ways with Afro Z saw Du Plessis following her love for gospel music and moving to the United States where she joined the multi-grammy award-winning music collective Israel & Newbreed.
Du Plessis says that she grew up in the church and sees Christianity as a big part of who she is. “I’ve always believed that God’s timing in my life is what matters most,” she said quoting renowned worship singer Chris Lawson in saying: “Never out of time when you’re in God’s timing”
With this in mind, she joined Israel & Newbreed on a world tour, also performing with Chris Tomlin, Darlene Zchech, Hillsong London and BJ Putnum to name a few.
This gave her the opportunity to take part in the Netflix documentary, “Covered, Alive in Asia” which was recorded while touring in several countries in Asia.
Du Plessis has also travelled within the United States, Trinidad, Singapore and Bangkok to conduct Vocal and Team Dynamics workshops and finds purpose in sharing with others what she has picked up along the way.
She describes her journey to date as surreal, adding that she feels blessed by the opportunities to share her story and experiences to inspire and help others grow.
After almost 12 years abroad the self-described small-town girl, who grew up in the township of Nasaret in Middelburg moved back to South Africa in 2018 to spend quality time with her parents and family saying that she is filled with excitement about this next chapter of her faith walk.
The performer who now resides in Johannesburg joined the cast of Rock of ages as Justice at Monte Casino in 2019 earning her a second Naledi Nomination in 2020 for her performance. She ended 2019 playing the Sour Kangaroo over the holidays in the musical Seussical, at the Lyric Theatre at Gold Reef City right before the Pandemic hit.
Lois feels incredibly blessed to be given another shot at her acting career and can currently be seen on ETV playing the role of Pearl in the popular local soapie, House of Zwide.
Check out the video of Lois’ latest single, Same God, below :
LOIS DU PLESSIS BIOGRAPHY:
● Strong entertainment professional with a National Diploma focused in Drama from Tshwane University of Technology.
● She started her entertainment career as part of the Virgin/EMI Pop Band Afro Z.
● After about 5 years together, they went on to pursue their individual passions in the industry. After almost 12 years of living in the United States performing gospel music, Lois moved home to spend quality time with her parents and family in July 2018. In 2019 she starred in Rock of ages as Justice at Monte Casino receiving her second Naledi Nomination in 2020 for her performance. She ended 2019 playing the Sour Kangaroo over the holidays in the musical Seussical, at the Lyric Theatre at Gold Reef City right before the Pandemic hit.
● In 2021 Lois landed a role in Kyknet short film Krismasboks.
● Lois can currently be seen on ETV playing the role of Pearl in the popular local soapie, House of Zwide which is currently in its second season of filming and is now the most watched show in South Africa at 7pm.